Boys & Girls Cross Country – New Athletes
Potential runners (& their parents),
Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Don’t be nervous! I have seen new runners who could barely run a mile in August finish the season running 5 miles. I welcome you to join us for our summer workouts when you are in town or to come out in August when school starts.
Coach Jenny Brecht
Overview of the program:
Summer Pre-Season: optional practices will be held at parks or trails 3 times a week on Monday, Wednesday & Friday mornings from 6:00 AM- 7:15 AM. Summer schedule and training plan provided upon request.
Summer Training Camp: July 18-22 (Flagstaff). More information provided upon request.
Fall Season: begins August 5th and ends towards the beginning of November.
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday – before school from 5:30-7:00 AM
Thursday – 7:00 p.m. at Kiwanis Park.
Friday – recovery day where athletes run on their own or cross train
Saturday – morning practice at 6:00 a.m. at different locations.
Races/Meets: We will have 1 to 2 races a week starting the last week of August. The meets are typically on Wednesdays or Saturdays. The beautiful part of this sport is that everyone gets to race and no cuts will be made. The top 7 runners on both the girls’ and boys’ teams are considered the varsity team.
The sport of cross country can teach many valuable life lessons! I want athletes to not only grow athletically but in all areas of their life through their participation in this sport.
Goals for all athletes:
- To become the best runners they can be and feel supported in their personal goals
- To formulate a life-long appreciation for running/fitness
- To know they are valued as a team member
- To learn life lessons that extend well beyond the sport
- To lead balanced lives while being dedicated to the sport
- To learn the discipline of honoring God in word and deed (even when running in the heat at 5:30 in the morning.)
- To come back and run next year